
On Sunday I ran the Chicago Half Marathon with nearly 20,00 people. While some would more than likely disagree that the Chicago Half Marathon could hardly look and feel like the road to heaven, the more I think on it I'd have to disagree. Imagine lining up with thousands of people. And because of the amount of people, you are all starting out at different spots according to where YOU THINK you'll finish. In fact from where I stood in line, it took 15 whole minutes to make it to the actual starting line. To my knowledge, I knew only one other "racer"(My sister in law, Jess, also ran). We had communicated via cell phone about 15-20 minutes before the race with hopes of meeting up in "our" starting line/ division. But there were just too many people to find her.
Now during this race I wanted to sing and pray like I did during my last half marathon, but I found there were too many distractions. When I did "remember" to, my prayers and songs were short and did not follow one right after another. While I knew God was with me each step of the way, I just could not keep the intense focus I desired on him. But what did keep me going was the encouragement I felt along the way-- prayers from people back at home, prayers of a husband somewhere along the route, and knowing all I had to do was finish before the end of the race (3 hour time limit, which was about 13 minutes a mile). I felt really good through the first 4-5 miles, had a good push going for me really. I watched the eventual "winners" pass me on the opposite side of Lakeshore Drive. Those of us who had no chance at winning cheered each of them on with gusto as we plugged along
By mile 8 or 9 or so, I was fatigued and wishing for every mile marker to pass by quickly. At times I needed to walk and sometimes I pushed through when I thought I couldn't. People called out to me from time to time along the sides to encourage me, sometimes even using my name (which was printed above my race number on my bib). That was motivation. There were bands along the way, signs from others' loved ones to cheer them on and always someone to encourage us. The race provided us with water and even misting showers to refresh us at various points along the way. And like life, some runners fell by the wayside whether from fatigue or heat, lack of water, etc. Most of the time, there was someone nearby who helped them or was able to get word to medical staff. The fight in me, however, just could not relent and be forced to quit. There was something "greater" to push for I thought.
The last mile was "torture" because I knew I was so close and yet so VERY far away. My feet and legs were tired and ready to stiffen if I even had half a thought about stopping. In fact, I was walking A LOT more of it than I really desired to. David found me at the quarter mile mark. I had barely enough push left in me. But knowing it was just a little more, I began to run/ hobble again. When I crossed that finish line, it was exhilaration. I completed the race nearly six minutes faster than the last half marathon I ran and a split second better than the time slot I lined up in at the start of the race. Receiving my "finisher" medal brings yet a smile to my face... I did it. The other thing that was the best.. finding my sister in law after the race was completed. I walked through the gates on my way to where David and I agreed to meet when I heard my name called... it was Jess :) She too had completed the race. I had watched for her the whole race and never found her. She was ahead of me the whole time, but yet God in His most infinite wisdom allowed us to meet up when we least expected it. Isn't that how it often is in this life? :)
I was able to accomplish this "feat" because I knew someone else was going to "win". I was just "asked" to complete what was in store for me, despite EVERY challenge I faced while training and running the race. And now a few days after I cannot help but think on the pure jubilation of completing the ULTIMATE race. With people watching, cheering me on, encouraging me in song and word, refreshing me when I need it most, battling through whatever lies ahead of me, knowing that I will one day again meet up with others I know (and some I do not) are running with me (but not always in my line of sight), I can and will complete the race laid out before me. Hallelujah!

No comments:
Post a Comment